Landmark judgement: Hindu widow gets more share in Property belonging to her husband

Widow is a word that creates limitless sympathy in the hearts of sensitive people. In a typical Indian society, a widow is considered to be a helpless creature who feeds herself on the mercy of other members of the family. In the recent past, the legal machinery of India has also taken the conditions of the widows seriously and ruled out improved provisions to safeguard their interests.

asandil Wed, 05/28/2014 - 19:12
Indian practice of dowry is all set to be banned in Victoria, Australia

Women’s rights advocate and previous head Ted Baillieu is pushing to have the Indian practice of dowry banned in Victoria claiming that it prompts household tortures and the abuse of ladies. Mr. Baillieu tabled a request in State Parliament in April calling for alterations to family viciousness laws. Financial ill-use was made illicit under the Family Violence Act in 2008, however campaigners additionally need a particular boycott on the share, which would bring state law into line with Indian law.

asandil Mon, 05/26/2014 - 19:11
It is necessary to hire 2 lawyers to file a divorce petition? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:37

It depends upon the way divorce is being filed. If you are taking it through mutual consent, a single lawyer too can handle the case.

I am happily married person in my late 40s but my younger sister always asks for her share in the house that my father gave to me. What can i do? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:36

Legally daughters have equal share in their father’s property. You are advised to meet a competent lawyer and discuss each and everything in greater detail and act accordingly.

I am a 32 years old woman living an uncared and unattended life and not getting any attention from my husband. I am fully deprived of the marital bliss. Can it be a ground for divorce? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:35

You can move towards family court for the restitution of conjugal rights. Law also acknowledges that a marriage has no meaning if marital duties are not performed between the couples.

Can the daily domestic quarrels between husband and wife entitle either of the two of file a petition for divorce against the other? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:34

the law has its own way to help individuals come out of these things. Petition can surely be filed.

My husband has left me and married another woman without getting legally separated. What action can I take against him as per the provisions of the Hindu Law. asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:33

Under Section 17 of the Hindu Marriage Act, bigamy is punishable u/s 494 & 495 of the Indian Penal Code. Section 494 prescribes for imprisonment, which may extend to 7 years and fine. So a complaint be lodged against the husband with the police.

I am a 39 year old married woman. I do live with my drunkard husband. He has snatched my 3 years old daughter from me. What can I do? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:32

Through proper legal procedures, You can claim the custody of your daughter on the ground that your husband is drunkard and not able to care for your daughter.

I am a 36 year old married woman. My in-laws harass me for dowry. What can I do legally? asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:31

In this case you can move to the police station of your area and complain against your in-laws under 498 A of Indian Penal Code. You are also free to file a divorce petition in the family Court.

My wife denies for sexual intercourse. Can it be treated a solid ground for divorce. asandil Thu, 05/22/2014 - 19:30

Yes, it may be a solid ground for divorce if she is denying for marital pleasure without any apt reason.